Friday, December 07, 2007

Regarding Mitt Romney's speech


It can be found at: http://www.courant.com/news/custom/topnews/sns-ap-romney-text,0,2110328.story

Because I am an atheist, I hold a skeptical impression of those running for elected office, stemming from the fear I have about religious tenants and politics not mixing. Even though the law of the land is based upon religious ideologies, I get this sickening worry that people who believe in god will also believe they will hear god talking to them like so many individuals convicted of violent crimes because they confess that god told them to do it. We have pretty much determined that these folks have a chemical imbalance that perpetuates these thoughts and are unable to fight them off unless on medications which effectively, if with serious side effects, eliminate them. I mean all these people with faith in god, a written and oral history of god talking to people, people talking to god through prayer and anyone who suggests that god has spoken to them is deemed a lunatic. It make no sense to me. How is it that god cannot speak to us in the open, only in our hearts? There is no logic (thats faith) and I believe peoples brains are better suited for critical thinking then for faith based thinking which I believe is lazy and ignorant. (it is just an opinion, not an attack)

With this in mind, when a candidate for president of the USA declares that his faith, "...is grounded on these truths. You can witness them in Ann and my marriage and in our family. We're a long way from perfect and we have surely stumbled along the way, but our aspirations, our values, are the self-same as those from the other faiths that stand upon this common foundation. And these convictions will indeed inform my presidency ", I get plenty fearful. George W. Bush felt compelled to attack Iraq in some sense out of a religious morality, that god himself has required of him to do such a thing as evidenced by what he states himself: I believe that God wants everybody to be free. That's what I believe. And that's one part of my foreign policy. In Afghanistan I believe that the freedom there is a gift from the Almighty. And I can't tell you how encouraged how I am to see freedom on the march. And so my principles that I make decisions on are a part of me. And religion is a part of me." In other words, his imperatives are a calling from god to act, as I see it. I do not see that they would be any different for Mitt Romney. Many of you will dismiss that as poor interpretation or reading out of context. Fine. I accept that. But he said what god wants is what his foreign policy is derived from. That is scary s*#t. I wait for your comments and attacks.

No comments: