Sunday, November 18, 2007

If you can, you must give public transportation in NY a try, really.

With regard to DOROTHY FUSCO of Huguenot's letter to the editor (http://www.silive.com/letters/advance/index.ssf?/base/news/1195385449278750.xml&coll=1) complaining about commuting woes: I have lived on SI since June 2006. Since day one, I have utilized public transportation. I go from the Westerleigh area into downtown Manhattan, then into Brooklyn M-F. I wait for the bus a maximum of 10 minutes, usually 3-5 minutes. On average, it takes 50-60 minutes, 75 minutes on a particulartly bad day. The return trip is always under 1 hour. I read, could compute, play games on my phone, maybe, though less than I would like to, talk to the person sitting-if they are not sleeping-next to me. Why anyone would take their car into the city is beyond comprehension. Infact, I own a car and never use it to commute into the city. I believe if 25% more people immediately began using public transportation, I am confident the MTA would flood hundreds more buses onto the streets and make everyones commute easier. There would be more money for the MTA requiring less reason to raise fares. Stress would be reduced. Life would be more pleasant. Imagine the reduction in road rage, crashes; insurance premiums would go down as a result. It is a win-win situation. I urge all those for whom it is appropriate to immediately begin planning your route to work via public transportation and give it a try. If the MTA could not handle it, then we know for sure their current management practices must be called into questions and the Mayors' support for the MTA would also be suspect. Lets put our elected officials to the fire. Take the bus.

No comments: